Crisp Fried Eggplant Dredged with Peanuts
Chef Nilesh Limaye's Crisp Fried Eggplant Dredged with Peanuts is a Pan-Asian dish with a twist of red wine and Demerara (brown) sugar. The crunch factor is everything here, and it comes from crispy eggplant slices fried at the right temperature and good quality roasted peanuts.
|Serves||6||Published||Wednesday, 13 November 2013|
|Recipe type||Vegetarian||Author||Nilesh Limaye|
For 6 people ()
- 2 eggplants large round purple vairety
- 1 cup(s) cornflour
- 1 cup(s) peanuts, roasted
- 1 teaspoon(s) ginger
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic
- oil, for frying
- 1 cup(s) spring onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoon(s) basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup(s) capsicum, cubed
- 1/3 cup(s) bamboo shoots
- 1/3 cup(s) mushrooms, cubed
- 1 tablespoon(s) sherry / red wine
- 2 teaspoon(s) soy sauce
- pinch(es) sugar
- cilantro / coriander, chopped
- This recipe yields 24 slices.
- Coarsely crush the roasted peanuts and set aside.
- Heat the oil for frying. In the meantime, slice the eggplant into thin, 5 mm chips and soak them in salted water.
- Pat the slices dry and then lightly dredge in cornstarch.
- Deep fry the eggplant slices over a high flame until golden. Drain and place on a paper towel.
- Combine soy sauce, sherry/red wine and brown sugar in a cup.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the ginger and garlic and sauté.
- Add spring onions and toss. Next add the capsicum, bamboo shoots, mushrooms and basil. Stir-fry for about 2 minutes over a high flame.
- Add the stir-fried eggplant, along with the soy and sherry sauce and stir-fry over a high flame for a minute or two. Add the coarsely crushed peanuts.
- Serve in a platter and garnish with cilantro.