A very easy recipe. You can use a frozen pie crust or even make your own (I promise it's simple!). For the filling, you can choose between meats, vegetables and seasonings of your choice. This is truly a foolproof recipe and you will love it better than anything you'll taste at a restaurant.
|Serves||4||Published||Monday, 02 September 2013|
|Recipe type||Pies||Author||Manisha Sharma|
For 4 people ()
For the Crust
- 1/2 basic pie dough
- 1 egg yolk
For the Filling
- 1 1/4 cup(s) vegetables / ham / shredded chicken / a combination
- 1 onion, small, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) garlic chilly paste
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1 tablespoon(s) oil / butter
For the Custard
- 2 eggs, whole
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoon(s) all purpose flour
- 1 cup(s) milk
- 1 cup(s) cream
- 1 pinch(es) nutmeg
- 1 dash(es) black pepper
- 1 cup(s) cheese of your choice, grated
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius.
- Roll out the pie dough to fit a 9” pie pan. Layer the pie crust on the bottom and sides of the pan and remove any extra dough. Now dock the crust with a fork or knife. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- To prepare the filling, heat oil / butter in a pan. Add the chopped onion and cook till translucent. Next add the garlic chilly paste and cook for a minute. Then add the vegetables or any other filling of your choice and salt. Wait till the filling is cooked and all the water has dried up. If there is still some water - for example, spinach gives out water - pass the filling through a sieve. Let the filling cool down.
- Bring out the pie crust, cover with a foil and weigh it down with pulses or a smaller pan and bake for 15 minutes. When the crust begins to look whitish, it is half-cooked and can be pulled out.
- Remove the foil and brush the egg yolk on the insides of the hot crust to harden it. Let it cool.
- To prepare the custard, whisk together eggs, egg yolk, milk, cream, all-purpose flour, nutmeg and black pepper. Add the cooled filling and give it a good mix.
- Spread the grated cheese on the crust, than spoon out the custard with the filling into it. Fill the pie pan ¾th full with the custard.
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes or until the filling is puffed around the sides and the knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool down before slicing.