This is a basic sauce for pastas, sandwiches and dips that you can tweak depending on the use you put it to. If it's going to be a dip or a spread, increase the amount of Parmesan cheese to half a cup and oil by a few extra tablespoons. As a pasta sauce, increase the amount of garlic and olive oil in it. You'd be surprised what a big difference these small additions can make to the flavour.
|Serves||4||Published||Thursday, 10 October 2013|
|Recipe type||Dips & Sauces||Author||Manisha Sharma|
For 4 people ()
- 2 cup(s) basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, big, peeled and crushed
- 4 tablespoon(s) Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon(s) pine nuts or walnuts
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt, as per taste
- Grind basil, nuts, salt and garlic cloves in a food processor or mixer.
- Once you get a coarse paste, add the Parmesan and pulse once to combine it into the mixture.
- Add extra virgin olive oil in a thin stream while the mixer is running on low speed till you get the desired consistency -- slightly coarse.
- Taste the pesto and adjust seasoning as per taste.