A pizza for potato fiends. You can experiment with what goes into the sauce - capers, anchovies, stir-fried mushrooms, salami, bacon etc.
|Serves||4||Published||Wednesday, 30 October 2013|
|Recipe type||Vegetarian||Author||Manisha Sharma|
Share This Recipe
For 4 people ()
- 600 grams potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 1/4 cup(s) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon(s) salt, or as per taste
- 1 teaspoon(s) black pepper
- 3 pizza mix seasoning, or as per your taste
For the Sauce
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 450 grams tomatoes, peeled and diced
- teaspoon(s) pizza mix seasoning
- tablespoon(s) oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt, or as per taste
- 1/2 cup(s) pizza cheese + cheddar cheese
- basil leaves
- oil to grease pan and brush pizza top
Potato Pizza Directions
- For the sauce, heat 3 tablespoons of oil. Add the onions and cook till they begin to change colour. Add grated garlic and stir for 10 seconds. Next, add the chopped tomatoes. Cook covered over moderate heat, stirring often until the tomatoes soften and begin to dry out. This will take about 15 to 20 minutes. Once done, add the pizza mix and leave it to cool.
- Boil the potatoes and peel while hot (use a kitchen towel to hold them). Sprinkle with pizza mix, salt and black pepper, and mash well. Now add ¼ cup of oil and mix thoroughly till it blends into the mashed potatoes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius and position the rack in the centre of the oven.
- Grease a tart pan. Spread half of the potato mixture over it to form a layer. Slather with tomato sauce. Place the basil leaves - either chopped or one leaf per slice - and top with grated pizza cheese. Now cover the filling with a layer of potatoes by spooning them close together. Brush this layer with some oil or butter. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or till the top is golden brown.
Share This Recipe